You Are Her: Home 9 SEND 9 SEN Specialist Expertise

SEN Specialist Expertise

SENCO and SEN Staff

Mrs Carolyn Clymo and she holds the National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators (NASENCO).  She can be contacted on 0191 586 2765 or by emailing .

More details of the SENCO’s role can be found in the SEN Policy which you can find in the School Policies section of our website.

External Specialists and Other Bodies

The school enjoys good working relationships with a wide range of people who provide services to children with SEND and their families.

The external specialists may:

  • Act in an advisory capacity
  • Extend expertise of school staff
  • Provide additional assessment
  • Support a child directly
  • Suggest statutory assessment is advisable
  • Consult with all parties involved with the child

These include:

  • Durham SEND Information,  Advice and Support Service
  • Durham County Council Local Offer
  • Local Authority Special Educational Needs Inclusion Team
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Emotional Well Being Team (EWEL)
  • Cognition and Learning Team
  • Health Agencies, particularly School Nurse Service and Health Visitors
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Crisis Response
  • Virtual School for Looked After Children
  • Specialist therapists – Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy
  • Other specialist health services as required, e.g. hearing, speech, vision, diabetes
  • Medical Practitioners – GPs, Paediatricians, Clinical Psychologists
  • Family workers and One Point Children Centre staff

How We Secure Specialist Expertise

Our Additional Needs Budget is used to support children and young people with SEN. 

This is used to support children and young people with SEND by:

  • Buying in the services of external specialists
  • Buying resources to support children

If a child has complex special educational needs, we could also receive additional funding from the Local Authority to meet the agreed outcomes.